On the weekend I had a ‘tourist’ day with some of the other volunteers. We started with French toast, fresh fruit and coffee for breakfast at Emily’s house with Amy. Then Emma, Dee, Courtney and I hit the Serekunda market for a shopping spree (well within a volunteers budgetary constraints). We went slowly checking out the weird and wonderful shops Gambia has on display. We checked into the wig shop and then found a clothes shop which imported wonderfully embroidered tops from India (Mum this is the shop if you want a top like the one you gave me for Christmas, just with brighter colours and sparkly embroidery).
Then we got to the material stalls where I had a ball – I bought green material for a work skirt, light blue for a dress to wear when I am not working and I found material with headphones on it… so I had to buy it. I will attempt to make my own ‘Dj dollebludger’ skirt now!!!!
After the market we headed for lunch in a café (very much like the café’s at home I had a toasted cheese and tomato sandwich and a chocolate croissant). Then we headed to the Senegambia craft market.
At the Senegambia craft market however I didn’t last long. From the minute we walked into the place we were bombarded. In the Gambia you can’t just shop. Every stall will call out to you and demand that you come to their stall. They will also not leave you in peace to select what you like. They will help you. It is customer service on steroids.
Unfortunately it is so far removed from the way I like to shop that I can’t do it, especially when the stall owners get upset at you when you won’t look at their stalls. I gave up and bailed on my friends only to be offered lifelong friendship or marriage a few times before eventually and catching a taxi out of the place. From then on I was helped non-stop until I got home, as it was a new route to me so I didn’t quite know which Gellis to catch. I think I will stay away from the touristy place now!
Then we got to the material stalls where I had a ball – I bought green material for a work skirt, light blue for a dress to wear when I am not working and I found material with headphones on it… so I had to buy it. I will attempt to make my own ‘Dj dollebludger’ skirt now!!!!
After the market we headed for lunch in a café (very much like the café’s at home I had a toasted cheese and tomato sandwich and a chocolate croissant). Then we headed to the Senegambia craft market.
At the Senegambia craft market however I didn’t last long. From the minute we walked into the place we were bombarded. In the Gambia you can’t just shop. Every stall will call out to you and demand that you come to their stall. They will also not leave you in peace to select what you like. They will help you. It is customer service on steroids.
Unfortunately it is so far removed from the way I like to shop that I can’t do it, especially when the stall owners get upset at you when you won’t look at their stalls. I gave up and bailed on my friends only to be offered lifelong friendship or marriage a few times before eventually and catching a taxi out of the place. From then on I was helped non-stop until I got home, as it was a new route to me so I didn’t quite know which Gellis to catch. I think I will stay away from the touristy place now!
No comments:
Post a Comment