Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Teachers verse the Police




I arrived home one afternoon to find Mr Touray looking stressed out and phoning people while sitting in the bantaba. I asked him what was going on and he said that the police had challenged the teachers to a football match the next afternoon and he had to organize a team.
I promised him that I would come along and support him and June and Jane agreed as well. The next afternoon however I was giving Awa, June’s cleaner a reading lesson and I ended up missing half the match. I rode my bike to the match and arrived discovering that June, Jane and I and two young children were the only females in the crowd. It was a lovely match to watch though. It turns out half the teachers were June’s and my students and Mr Touray was the coach, The teachers were up by one point when we arrived and the police got a goal to even up the scores soon after. It was a nail biter with plenty of advice given from the sidelines, but the teachers (aided well by one of our students) kicked the winning goal right at the end of the match. I took some photos on my phone so they aren’t that good.

No comments:

Post a Comment