

My weeks at work have been very same same. I have struggled some weeks with the students not understanding what I am teaching and not trying to understand, but lately we have reached a happy medium. I put in some measures to make them answerable to their behavior and I changed my lectures so they were more practical (which was part of the content of the course anyway). This last week has been a lot of fun as I have been teaching the students songs like ‘A roosta sha a roosta sha a rooster sha sha’ which involves silly actions and duck duck goose (which I changed to sano nin suluwo – rabbit and hyena). It has been fun because the students crack up at what I am teaching them then love joining in. I have been videoed on mobile phones and one student brought in his laptop to video me. It is a little nerve wracking constantly standing up in front of 80 or so people who you know are just taking the mickey out of you, but I hope they enjoy it enough to try some of it with the children. I know most won’t but some might. As one of the peace corp t-shirts states ‘Change is a problem”. But I would say that it is not just a localized problem.
Alongside my rather embarrassing lectures I have been visiting schools and mentoring some students in their schools when I can. My other project has been to clean out the ECD classroom and establish it as more of what you should see in an ECD room. Caroline, one of the Brikama peace corp’s, has been helping me paint the alphabet and numbers in the classroom along with Jane and Katie. Here are some photos of the work we have been doing. I aim to do some of this in Parfeh’s school as well. I know the people at St Malachy's will laugh that I am again leaving my 'mark' on yet another building!
I have also posted some photos of my lectures from this week – which were playing games made from local materials. As it is Tobaski week many students are absent so there was less making fun of me and more work getting done.
Alongside my rather embarrassing lectures I have been visiting schools and mentoring some students in their schools when I can. My other project has been to clean out the ECD classroom and establish it as more of what you should see in an ECD room. Caroline, one of the Brikama peace corp’s, has been helping me paint the alphabet and numbers in the classroom along with Jane and Katie. Here are some photos of the work we have been doing. I aim to do some of this in Parfeh’s school as well. I know the people at St Malachy's will laugh that I am again leaving my 'mark' on yet another building!
I have also posted some photos of my lectures from this week – which were playing games made from local materials. As it is Tobaski week many students are absent so there was less making fun of me and more work getting done.
No comments:
Post a Comment