Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Ugly on the outside but Sweet on the Inside







Sherryn and her mother Jean came to visit last week. My first experience for Sherryn and her mum (apart from the market which takes about a month to acclimatize to), was to watch the fishermen come in again. I had also organized to meet Diana, another ECD person, in Bakau as well. However I never quite imagined what the result of Sherryn smiling sweetly on the Bakau Guest House balcony would be!!!

The lady who serves at the bar in the guest house remembered me from the week before and was quite friendly and chatted to us. She then waved to her fisherman friend who then spied Sherryn and was instantly besotted.

He ran up all the steps to the balcony to introduce himself – Foxy Brown. Then he ran down to find us the best butterfish he could, after ‘convincing’ us that butterfish was the best fish around. Then he decided that we should get it cooked at the fish market and eat it straight away. I wasn’t really sure if he was on anything but I think he has been the most delightful character I have met in the Gambia – he just made me smile so much.

After deciding we had to cook the butterfish he led us all down to the fish market and took us on a ‘tour on steroids’ of the fish market. He darted in and out of each place making certain we were taking enough photos of everything we saw. He showed us each different variety of fish, where they cook the fish, the boats they catch the fish in, the sellers, where they smoke the fish and where they dry the fish. Each stop was very comical, he was really quite gorgeous. Then on the way back to fillet the fish he mentioned that Sherryn could become his wife, to my extreme jealousy. Foxy is not my type but I was in Gambia for ages before I got that sort of compliment (if you call it that) – Sherryn managed it after only one day!

So after announcing his undying love, Foxy then proceeded to fillet our fish whilst chasing away any bumsters who came near. One, however, got in the most beautiful saying before being chased off ‘Butterfish are like me – Ugly on the outside but sweet on the inside’. I couldn’t think of a better way of describing Foxy actually.

After the fish was nicely filleted Foxy directed the ladies on how to cook it for us and then took Sherryn, Jean and myself on a lovely walk along the beach in the sunset, promising Sherryn he would cook her a barbeque on the beach before she went home. In the meantime, however, Diana arrived so we headed back to the guest house but soon got our dinner delivered by Foxy who also stopped for a drink and to give Sherryn his phone number. A really gorgeous evening (though I’m not so sure Sherryn agrees ;-) )

No comments:

Post a Comment