Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Burama's Nursery

In an earlier post I mentioned visiting my student in Marakissa, a lovely guy who is very dedicated to his work. Burama was also very keen for me to visit his nursery so I thought it would be a good chance for some skills sharing if I went when Sherryn and her mother (who is also a teacher) were there. And it was.

We took along some paint and paper to do some hand painting with Burama’s class. He was, as usual, very excited to see us and very grateful for our time. I took a really deep breath however as I saw that this amazingly bright and enthusiastic student had the smallest classroom I had seen and fifty three year olds filling it. I guess it is a good testimony to how well the school is going as they are expanding quickly in class size. He did however have the best desks I had seen and some useful teaching resources, though very few.

The most delightful thing was that although the children had only started nursery earlier that week, when Burama spoke the whole class stopped and looked at him with admiration. He is an amazing teacher I don’t know many people who could do that with three year olds!

So the class went well, although very messily. The children were very proud of their art. Unfortunately we didn’t take any photos.

At the end of the lesson the children all went outside and Sherryn and Jean exchanged songs with the other teachers and made a big impression (Burama texted me he was the happiest guy in the world after our visit and we are now considered a member of staff).

No comments:

Post a Comment