In the last few weeks I have been visiting schools, when I don’t have lectures, and working with the teacher or observing their lessons. I thought I would post some pics of the different classrooms I see. The presence or absence of a sponsor makes a big difference.
The one I went to today had a sponsorship group from the Netherlands. They had a nursery school in the mornings that ran adult education classes in the evenings. Attached to the school was a medical clinic (it was just like a miniature hospital, very nice inside), a skills training centre with a gift shop and a computer training centre. The school had lots of resources and the children were even given a toothbrush each so they could clean their teeth at school.
Unfortunately the staff did say that the sponsors usually arrive with a truck load of stuff and often it isn’t things they really need. I did notice that many of their resources were still in boxes. Resources and books from overseas are only useful if the teachers know what they are for and how to use them. The books I have tried to get the children to read have been a waste of time because the stories are so removed from the lives of the children that they can’t predict or understand what they are about so the reading is meaningless.
The one I went to today had a sponsorship group from the Netherlands. They had a nursery school in the mornings that ran adult education classes in the evenings. Attached to the school was a medical clinic (it was just like a miniature hospital, very nice inside), a skills training centre with a gift shop and a computer training centre. The school had lots of resources and the children were even given a toothbrush each so they could clean their teeth at school.
Unfortunately the staff did say that the sponsors usually arrive with a truck load of stuff and often it isn’t things they really need. I did notice that many of their resources were still in boxes. Resources and books from overseas are only useful if the teachers know what they are for and how to use them. The books I have tried to get the children to read have been a waste of time because the stories are so removed from the lives of the children that they can’t predict or understand what they are about so the reading is meaningless.
No comments:
Post a Comment