Saturday, May 15, 2010

Basse








Last week I went to Basse (which is one of the furthest towns in the Gambia). It was a fair drive which involved three ferry crossings - but because I was in an air conditioned car it was no further than the drive to Melbourne from Edenhope - except that the last hour was on a road full of pot holes!!! (kinda like some roads at home ;-) )
Basse is one of the hottest places in the Gambia but the heat at this time of year was very dry - exactly the same as some of the 40+ days at home. The place actually reminded me of Edenhope - sparse grazing land similar to home (even some gum trees!). It was really, really nice to be back in the country.
Basse itself is a city, similar to Brikama (where I live) but more like a country cousin. The purpose of the visit was to see some of the nursery schools down there as part of a 0-6 years old curriculum review.
Some of the nursery schools were similiar to those around my region but you would often find a herd of cows or goats and a well in the school yard (not something you might see at home!). At times you would even go to a school to find a classroom full of kids and no teacher or a classroom with kids, a teacher and some desks but only one set of number flash cards to teach with. The teachers around Basse have to be very innovative - but some of them could achieve this quite well with rhymes, actions and a positive attitude. Others however I could see felt overwhelmed.
I have posted some photo's of the experience so you can see the cows, wells and bare classrooms. You can also see the gorgeous children down there (it is such a nice community - friendly and very little of the hassle I get in Brikama) and Horija, my colleague, and the mangos (mangos are everywhere at the moment!).
I have also posted a pic of Cem (pronounced Jim), another VSO volunteer, who is posted down in Basse with Lynn and Tom (also volunteers but Lynn was in England awaiting her grandchild's arrival!). Tom helped us a lot with knowing which schools to visit and Cem was like my big brother, taking me to some of the closest schools on the back of his motorbike (yes Mum I wore a helmet). Travelling on the roads around Basse is more like riding through the paddocks at home - they are just small dirt tracks.

2 comments:

  1. .....and I like Rachels dress at the staff picnic.....!!!!

    ReplyDelete