Monday, March 15, 2010

Settling in







I am beginning to settle into my new house now so I have taken some pictures to show you around. I am really enjoying it here. I get along really well with Amy and Anne, they are the best neighbours ever. Mr Touray, who is neighbor and caretaker, is excellent. He has helped me to organize getting things fixed in the house (my water works now but I am waiting on a tap head and a new shower head and tap) and helped me to do som e things like change light bulbs, get my backdoor unlocked and clean out my yard. He is also very cute, because he is a teacher he explains everything he does, which makes me laugh inside every time I talk to him. He is very Gambian in ‘explaining the obvious’ but his heart is so good it is lovely to hear.
So the photo’s first is one I took of some young girls who dropped by, after a few minutes of confusion they finally communicated to me that their visit was something to do with photo’s. So I took some silly snaps of them.
The next are to make you jealous – they are of my backyard – note the tap is where I get my water for the kitchen, Bantaba (I don’t think that is how you spell it but it is the same as a pergola), and Mr Touray’s vegetable patch.

I have also put in a photo of my kitchen to explain the bucket system. I have no kitchen sink – which has really put new meaning to the saying ‘you have everything but the kitchen sink’. Because without a sink I have a bucket system; the large brown tub under the bench is for washing my clothes. The pink bucket alternates between rinsing my clothes, rinsing my veges and being a disposal bucket for waste water (I need to buy another bucket !!), The two with lids on it are the food bucket and the water bucket. The water bucket has clean water for cooking, putting in the water filter and anything else (it is my kitchen tap – just like the pink one is kind of my plug hole). I have to store my food in a bucket to stop mice getting to it (it is simpler than Tupperware and works for me!). The blue and yellow tub on the bench is for washing dishes (which I only do once a day – I boil a kettle of water to make my hot chocolate and wash my dishes every morning).

No comments:

Post a Comment