Saturday, February 13, 2010

Language training

Every morning we have language training. I am lucky to have a small class of Liz and I with our teacher Eliji. Eliji is a great teacher, he teaches the language simply and in a logical order and lapses into a cultural lesson of the Gambia when we are getting tired. It is fantastic because I am learning a lot from him and really enjoying the lessons. Through speaking the language I have learnt that Eliji has one wife and five children. He asked how many children I am going to have and thinks that two children, such is the norm in Australia, is not enough.
For those of you who are interested here is some Mandinka for you;
The vowels are the same as English but pronounced as follows – a (ah), e (aeh), i (ieh), o (oo), u (uoh).
The consonants are pronounced the same as English but have an ah sound on the end e.g. b – bah. There is no g or x and the n might have an accent, in which case you say (ny), or a tail, in which case you say (ng) but swallow the g sound.
n and m are sounds that are used for referring to yourself (as in I or me),and are interchanged according to the first letter of the following word – you use n if the first letter of the next word is a j,k,d,n,s or t, you use m if it is a b,f,m or p.
It sounds confusing but it makes sense and is easy once you start using it. The idea is that you use an n or an m when talking about yourself, and i if you want to refer to the person you are talking to and an a if you are talking about someone else (he, she or it).
In the morning you go through the following greetings
Sallamalekum – Peace be with you
Mallekum sallam – peace be with you too
Kayira beh – Are you in peace
Kayira duro(ng) – Yes I am in peace
Suumoolu lee – Are your family at home
I bee be jee – yes they are at home
Kori tanante – hope there is no problem
tanate – no problem
i be (ny)aadii – how are you
m be jan doro(ng) – I am fine
dookuwoo be (ny)aadii – how is your work
duukuwoo be jan doro(ng) – my work is fine
If you are in a rush either of the peace greetings is fine, if not it is considered rude if you do not greet people properly.

2 comments:

  1. Peace!

    Why do they ask people if they are in peace? What do you say if you are not in peace?? And more interesting, what happens then?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not willing to try my dear. Peace is very important!

    ReplyDelete