Saturday, February 13, 2010

Kanifeng


The kitchen (there is a sink too)

The living area

The front door

The bedroom

The bathroom

The front yard

Friday, one week after arriving


This morning we had language training again, then a child protection briefing. The briefing was very sobering, the law in Gambia for child protection is the best in Africa, however the loopholes mean that it is still very hard to protect children. Some of the issues are early marriage and female circumcision. Issues that are religiously and culturally accepted which makes them extremely hard to address. However these will be issues I will try to address on my placement, wherever I can. The most sobering part I found about these issues however is that even though Britain and Australia are further ahead in child protection, it is nearly just as hard to protect children as in Africa.

After our briefing we went back to Safari Gardens hotel to pack and move. Then in the afternoon we moved to Kanifeng house (where we will live for a week). Here are some photos of Kanifeng house. Mum will be glad to know we have a security guard from seven till morning.

The water pressure is the main problem we have in the Kanifeng house – not a good combination when you consider it in necessary to fill the toilets!! We have electricity and a gas cooking stove. Tonight Kanti is cooking - she is an Indian so I am really looking forward to it!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment