Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Nearly Time to Go!

It's less than a week to go now! I still have lots to do, but all I really want to do is spend time with my family and Nic.

I have done a trial pack and it looks like I might even meet the luggage limits. I am taking very few clothes - as they say it is cheap to get the locals in Gambia to copy the items of clothes that you bring - so just a few skirts, shirts, tank tops, shorts and some bathers have made their way in. I have packed a tent - because I have been told the volunteers sometimes have 'time out' time by camping near the beach and you can't buy a tent in the Gambia (my tent only weighs 1.65kg so it will be easy to carry). I have also bought a self inflating mattress as I am unsure if I will get a bed and I know that I won't get a couch or anything to relax on. I have got a solar/wind-up torch for power outs, a wind up head torch and a rechargable light. And lots and lots of medications.

My luxury has been to buy an external hard drive that I have downloaded my DVD and CD collection onto. I will be taking my laptop as the university only has one computer for the staff to share. I have been busy buyin relevant ebooks and scanning parts of textbooks to assist me - as there won't be many resources over there.

Nic and I have just finished watching 'Roots' a mini-series made in the 70s about slaves taken from the Gambia and sold in South America. It is a very difficult series to watch because of the cruelty - it is a true story. I would still recommend watching it.

Thank you to all the well wishers and for the gorgeous going away gifts people gave me to use while I am away. Thank you to Nic, Sara and Mum and Dad for all the help with packing and moving as it is an enormous job!

Next post should be from the Gambia!

1 comment:

  1. You sound pretty much organised!
    I'll see you tomorrow at your last dinner in cilisation.

    ReplyDelete